Saturday, July 5, 2008

SPD Party Up!

I should've mentioned before the party that the party was happening, really, but now I'm mentioning it now. The party was a goodbye one for me, Alli and Neil and a hello one for John, Tetra and Clay. Change of the guard! Crazy.

The party happened at the home of Juliana Spahr, Bill Lluoma, Charles Weigl and Sasha's house in Berkeley. What a place, what a garden, really. Thank you to them for their gracious hospitality.

There was a cake in the shape of a book with the words "Brave New SPD" written across it, delicious all around.

Laura read a fantastic speech by Jeffrey Lependorf, SPD's Executive Director and then sang each of the leaving SPD-ers college fight songs before then singing the new and improved SPD fight song.

Just for posterity's sake I have to clear up a little misunderstanding along the fight song lines. I did not in fact go to Reed College, I went to The Evergreen State College. I stand by Evergreen but hell Reed does sound a lot better doesn't? I'd say nothing just to have a gaggle of bay area poets continue to think that I went to Reed except for the fact that Evergreen's fight song is really superb and worth knowing. So with that, here it is:

The Geoduck Fight Song


words and music by Malcolm Stilson, 1971
Go, Geoducks go,
Through the mud and the sand,
let's go.
Siphon high, squirt it out,
swivel all about,
let it all hang out.

Go, Geoducks go,
Stretch your necks when the tide
is low
Siphon high, squirt it out,
swivel all about,
let it all hang out.


Thanks SPD for the great send off and for everything. Lucky are we who have toiled in your warehouse. Love, love, love.
*Photos are forthcoming.

No comments: